Rang De Basanti
In about an hour or so, I shall be watching the movie Rang De Basanti in Esquare and I'm already excited about it.There are two reasons behind the excitement:
1) The movie itself - which I am told is very different.
2) The fact that I will be watching this movie with a group of close friends after a real long time. In the company of witty and humorous friends, even a dull and boring movie can be enjoyed...
Postscript – My thoughts on the movie
- One can easily relate to every aspect of the movie (the characters, their wardrobe, their thoughts and more importantly their dialogues)
- The first half of the movie, where Alice Patten is involved in casting and convincing people for the roles, brought back memories of the DVD (Dil vs Dimaag) play and the fun we had making it.
- The editing is flawless and it does an excellent job of carrying the story forward meticulously. At one moment, it gives you black and white glimpses of the revolutionaries fearlessly fighting against the British Rule and then suddenly it leap-frogs into what-can-we-do attitude of youngsters in the colorful 21st century.
- The narration style is unique and brilliant. It superimposes characters belonging to two different generations and cleverly juxtaposes their thoughts and ideas in different frames. This takes the unassuming audience by surprise and silently encourages us to perform a collective soul-searching exercise. This technique also allows the director to convey his message without falling into the traps of preaching (remember Swades). Kudos to Rakeysh Mehra for exploring this technique !!!
- The publicity team of RDB definitely deserves a pat on their back for not revealing how the movie interlaces events in the Indian history with the present state of affairs in the country. After coming out from the theatre, I had a second look at the posters and I again appreciated the strategy of not putting in images of Bhagat Singh or Chandrashekhar Azad in the movie posters.
- The song picturization deviates from the traditional lip-sync model. Infact I think, there is not a single song in the movie that required lip-sync. The actors gave the right expressions to the camera-man, A.R.Rahman pitched in with an excellent sound-track and the editing table did a perfect job of reeling the song.
- Last but not the least, I hope this movie wins an Oscar.

2 Comments:
Hi Chetan!
How are you doing?
Nice review, pal. :)
I haven't seen this movie yet, but I am already intrigued by it. This is because of the different kinds of reviews I have read about it over the last few days.
While your review suggests that finer points of this movie like narration, editing, etc. are commendable, there is another review of this movie's story-line, which suggests that it is too sensational. This other review has been written by Chandrahas Choudhury. You can find it here. Do let me know your thoughts about this.
And thanks for arousing my interest in this movie. I will make sure I watch it. :)
But they don't play Hindi movies at cinemas in Santa Barbara. :(
Hopefully, I'll find a copy of this movie with one of my friends here. :D
Yes a great movie indeed, but why does it need to win an oscar?
Post a Comment
<< Home