Friday, December 09, 2005

The Pull of India

I have been here in San Jose for more than two months now. During this unusually extended stay, I got an opportunity to meet a wide cross-section of Indian techies who are working with some of the best companies in the Silicon Valley. And while talking to them, invariably our discussions often veered towards India and the latest happenings on the political, economical and social fronts.

The booming economy in India, the growing presence of multinationals (Microsoft investing $1.7 billion dollars, Intel investing $1 billion, etc, etc) and the desire to stay with family members is definitely forcing many Indian techies to consider the option of taking up a job in India. You can actually sense it!

In fact, the local newspaper of San Jose – Mercury News has been carrying out a series of articles on India - a country which now sits in the front-row of global economy. It also has a special coverage (don't miss the slideshow and commentary that follows on the same page) on the tech-boom in India, the phenomenon of reverse brain-drain and the gradual metamorphosis of Bangalore into the Silicon Valley of the East.

My only complaint – why is there no mention of Pune :( ? Does Pune still have a long way to go or is Pune just content to be called the Oxford of the East?

4 Comments:

At 12/26/2005 1:23 PM, Blogger Aditya said...

You must realize that IT-geeks are thinking of returning to India not for their or their children's education, but for being with their families and having a job. Hyderabad & B'lore are front runners as far as IT companies and jobs are concerned. Pune is sure to catch up given its climate and as I keep hearing news of infrastructure-breakdown in B'lore.

May be in couple of months you'll think of coming back to India too! :)

 
At 12/28/2005 1:20 AM, Blogger Mandar said...

Hi Chetan!

You have a great blog going on here.

Nice to know that you are in San Jose! Will try to drive down to your place some time. May be we could meet up.

I agree with you about your thoughts on Pune. Pune does deserve a mention for its prominence in portraying India in the global economy - IT and otherwise.

-Mandar

 
At 1/24/2006 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chetan,

This is after a real long time. I was browsing Ramanand's blog and saw a link to yours. How are you? Are you still in India? And Vijay? Are you still working at PSPL? Hope that both of you are doing very well.

I finished my masters in Canada in Dec 2004 and shifted to Florida for a PhD starting Jan 2005. That's where I have been for a year, and yes, safar bahut lamba hai :-).

Anyhow my email id is ajit_v_r @ yahoo . co. uk

Vikrant is working in Paris. I had spoken to him for a long time some time in November.

 
At 1/24/2006 8:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chetan,

This is after a real long time. I was browsing Ramanand's blog and saw a link to yours. How are you? Are you still in India? And Vijay? Are you still working at PSPL? Hope that both of you are doing very well.

I finished my masters in Canada in Dec 2004 and shifted to Florida for a PhD starting Jan 2005. That's where I have been for a year, and yes, safar bahut lamba hai :-).

Anyhow my email id is ajit_v_r @ yahoo . co. uk

Vikrant is working in Paris. I had spoken to him for a long time some time in November.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home